18 March 2013

ACDA and Choir Nerd-dom

This week I've been lucky enough to attend the American Choral Directors Association National Conference in Dallas, Texas, and I have had a blast!  It's the best place to be for all those who consider themselves choir nerds.  There were many composers there to meet and talk with and I can't even begin to explain the mountain of free sheet music I acquired through the week.  I know half the people reading this could probably care less, but free sheet music is the best thing ever!


Composer John Rutter
First I got to see John Rutter and hear him discuss a little of his newer pieces.  For anyone who is performing a John Rutter piece in their choir, be it a college, high school, or church ensemble, all you need to know is that he often compares his soprano lines to a Julie Andrews musical.  Frequently he told the sopranos in this reading session "That's very polite, sopranos, but it needs a little more Julie Andrews," and would proceed to do a little dance.  It was great!

I also watched a documentary on composer Morten Lauridsen and since have come to feel that he is one of the great treasures of American choral music.  He is such a humble and simple man who loves to live among beauty and write that into his music.  If you've never heard him before, now would be the time to YouTube him, particularly his pieces "O Magnum Mysterium" and "Sure on this Shining Night".


A really amazing chandelier at the Dallas Opera house!
There were also more concerts than I've ever been able to attend before from amazing groups all over the country.  We were able to see these in the Meyerson Symphony Center and the Winspear Opera House in the Arts District of Dallas.  The Winspear has the most amazing chandelier that lights up, changes colour, and can retract into the ceiling.  I took so many pictures of that chandelier I can hardly believe it myself, but the space was just so breathtaking!


My friend Mandie and I with composer Ola Gjeilo
One of my favourite moments was when my friend Mandie and I were volunteering backstage during concert rehearsals at the Winspear Opera House.  Pretty soon the guy in charge of the building came backstage and asked us if we saw Ola Gjeilo ("Yay-lo") playing piano on stage.  We're singing one of his pieces in choir right now and so Mandie and I ran to the stage and asked, rather awkwardly, to shake his hand.  Later, when he came back for the actual performance, we kind of stalked him out and waited at the door for him to show up.  He was very nice and really humble so he didn't call us too creepy for waiting by the door!

My creeper shot of composer Eric Whitacre
Oh, we also got to see and sing for Eric Whitacre (he's really arrogant, but that's okay) and perform the amazing Benjamin Britten War Requiem for thousands of attendees.  I'm really lucky because most choir nerds are fortunate to perform that piece once in their lives and I've done it twice!  It was such an amazing and spiritual experience.  I am so glad I got to participate and soak the whole environment in as well as make a few new really fantastic friends.  I left so inspired and ready to hit the ground running with my conducting career and well as some good ideas for new songs.

Best week EVER!
Meyerson Symphony Hall
The Dallas Winspear Opera House

1 comment: