04 March 2013

My First Pipe Dream

For the longest time I've had this dream to one day write a musical.  I've attempted a few times but nothing has ever really made it off the ground and that's why not only is my name not up on the marquee but I'm also a poor starving college student.  Something tells me such wouldn't be the case if I had made it big.  Maybe . . .

This song was really my first attempt at songwriting at all.  Well, I did some before my mission, but that hardly counts when it was bad.  I mean it: those tries were terrible!  But this one actually kind of worked.  I just sat down at the piano one day and this is what came out.  It was meant to be the overture to a musical idea I had that has since died out.  Whenever I think that I can't write anything I pull this out and remember that surely I must be able to write something of note if I pulled this off with only a basic knowledge of harmony.


I'm not going to lie, this is all rather nostalgic for me.  Do you ever have those moments when you reflect back on where you were x-number of years ago and ponder on where life has taken you since then?  I wrote this three and a half years ago.  If anyone told me then where I'd end up three and a half years later I don't think I would have believed them.  I know, everyone says that.  It's not a terribly unique thought, but it still makes you wonder.

Try it yourself.  Do you think you're happier now than you were three and a half years ago?  Would you change anything?  Any major regrets?  Anything left unsaid you wish hadn't been?  Have you grown?  Have you learned?  I can say for myself that, though I never would imagine in a million years life would take me where it has now, I'm happy.  I don't think I would change one thing in my life now, not one person, not one experience, not one heartache, because it has all made me better in some way and I appreciate that.

Okay, I'm done with my soul-searching ways for today.  Everything just got me rambling!  On with the song!

Overture in C minor

No comments:

Post a Comment